Monday, October 26, 2015

31st Birthday Week

Well, it's officially my birthday week!  Happy 31st birthday too me!   I remember when someone would say 30, I would think "wow that's really old."  Now I just think how young I still am. I still look forward to my birthday, and I have already started my birthday celebration a week early.  This year I get to share my birthday with Mackenzie's 4 month birthday.  She really is the best present I could have ever asked for.

I have noticed since turning 30 (or maybe because I had a baby; who really knows the reason)  that things that were easy for me in my late teens and twenties are a little harder than they use to be.  I use to be able to drop 5 pounds easily, even if I gained it right back.  Now I've been watching what I eat by counting calories,  watching my macros, and cooking mostly healthy things; I've been exercising 4-5 days a week, and it just won't come off.  The scale actually said I gained 1.2 lbs!  It is so frustrating, because I am doing everything right, but the scale is just not saying what I would like it too.  I keep telling myself, at least I feel better, have more energy, and feel a lot less bloated.  I know I shouldn't obsess over the scale, but it is so hard not too!  I need to get into the mindset of just being healthy, and not worry about the pounds.  That will eventually take care of itself as long as I keep doing the right things and making the right choices.  

I asked for a Fitbit HR for my birthday, and being the amazing husband he is, Gill obliged.  He gave it to me a week early so I could start using it immediately.  Can I just say I absolutely love it!  I love that it gives me so much information.  I love how it gives me my exact heart rate during exercise, how many calories I'm burning, how many steps I take, and how much sleep I'm getting.  It really is great, and think that everyone should have one.  

This week, I was really proud of myself.  I went to the gym 5 days, and went for a walk with Mackenzie around the neighborhood 1 day.  I did Zumba 4 of them, and did my own thing 1.  I do so much better when I have an organized class.  My heart rate got up higher (burned more calories), and I just felt like I got a better workout.  I had forgotten how addicting working out is. It's only been 2 weeks of me going back to the gym, and when I don't go, I feel bad.  I'm so glad that Gill encouraged me to start back, and has been as supportive as he has been.   It has made a huge difference in how I feel and how much energy I have.  It also makes me want to eat healthier.

This past week, I only did 2 freezer slow cooker meals.  They make so much that we can eat on them for days.  This week I made Low Fat Mexican Fiesta Chicken and Hawaiian Chicken.

Both were very good, and I will cook both of them again.  

Here are the recipes:

Low Fat Mexican Fiesta Chicken
2-3 chicken breast
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes (I chopped my own instead of using canned)
1 cup of frozen corn (I did 1 1/2 cups)
1 can black beans

Directions
Mix taco seasoning in bowl with oil, vinegar, and water and pour over the chicken.  Add other ingredients and freeze

On the bag directions
1.  Cook on low 4-5 hours until chicken shreds.

The recipes calls for it to be served with rice, however, we ate ours with Low carb whole wheat tortillas, added a little fat free sour cream, fresh salsa, and a cheese blend.  It was delicious and we will be eating this again really soon!

Hawaiian Chicken
2-3 chicken breast
1 can of pineapple and juice
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce

Directions
Cook on Low for 3-6.  

I cooked some broccoli in soy sauce as a side and some brown rice.  It was very good, but a little sweet which was fine with us.  Just a warning for anyone who can't have sugar.  Gill put some BBQ sauce on the chicken and he said it made it even better.  I liked it plain.  

This weekend we are going to Auburn for the Auburn vs Ole Miss game.  It's always hard when we go somewhere because I can't completely control what I am eating and can't go to the gym that day.  Also, it's hard this time because it's Mackenzie's first Halloween and I will only get to see her for a little while in her costume (she's going as a tiger with an orange a blue tutu-I mean it is a football day and all).  At least it is an early game so we can get back to see her.  Hopefully, with all the Halloween candy around, eating out this weekend, and my birthday this week, I can still make good decisions with my eating choices.  



No comments:

Post a Comment